Viking River Cruises is growing quickly. Debuting 4 of their longships this year and six in 2013, the line has an option for six more in 2014. A short preview cruise was all it took to realize why the line is showing such phenomenal growth: they have a clear vision for what they want river cruising to be, have set it up as a viable alternative to ocean cruising and offer accommodations equal to or better than ocean cruise ships.
Their new 445 square foot Explorer Suite which debuted on Viking Odin, the ship we are sailing this week, has an impressive list of features aimed to please the most finicky of travelers.
Hotel-style beds with optional twin-bed configuration grace a separate bedroom with its own French balcony. A large bathroom with double sinks, shower, heated mirror and floor as well as premium bath products is a welcome addition to this top-tier stateroom. Add in a fully-equipped Sony 26-inch flat-panel TV with a variety of programming, a refrigerator, safe and hair dryer and the space is on its way to meeting the needs of most guests. A large common area with its own individual climate control that opens onto a full balcony, completes the space.
See for yourself-
- River cruising a viable option for the right traveler, expertly advised (chriscruises.net)
- River cruise line staterooms on par, if not better, than the best at sea (chriscruises.net)
- Viking christens thinking man’s ships at Amsterdam ceremony (chriscruises.net)
- Cruise line to christen four ships in one day (chriscruises.net)
- Getting there is half of something, we’re just not sure what (chriscruises.net)