A river cruise might not be for everyone. Those accustomed to what ocean cruises offer might miss 24-hour room service, a multitude of onboard entertainment, activity, dining and fitness options. Need to travel with children? Forget river cruises; there are no programs to occupy their time. But for social people interested in getting up-close and personal with some of the greatest, most historic regions of the world in an intimate, personal setting, there might not be a better option.
Defining ocean cruises as “a drinking man’s cruise” and river cruises as “a thinking man’s cruise” Torstein Hagen, Chairman and CEO of Viking River Cruises set the stage the christening of four new Viking longships at a ceremony in Amsterdam we attended not long ago. Not as a put down to those who prefer ocean cruising but more as an emphasis of what river cruises are all about, Hagen nailed it in just those simple words…”a thinking man’s cruise.”
Viking River Cruises is a great choice for seniors, couples without children (either have not had them yet or have and are moving on with their own lives) or singles. Families with late teens who happen to be interested in history, the commerce that has driven Europe and much of the world for centuries and more, might also book a ride.
Here is a video we received from Viking that really epitomizes what river cruising is all about. It’s a form of unique travel not for everyone but oh, for those to whom it resonates, there might not be anything better.
Want to know more? Check these related articles written on our short preview sailing of Viking Odin
- Making a longship for river cruising (video) (chriscruises.net)
- River cruising a viable option for the right traveler, expertly advised (chriscruises.net)
- Cruise line to christen four ships in one day (chriscruises.net)
- Viking christens thinking man’s ships at Amsterdam ceremony (chriscruises.net)
- Your cruise questions answered: Viking River Cruises 101 (chriscruises.net)
- River cruise line staterooms on par, if not better, than the best at sea (chriscruises.net)
- Cruise line introduces suites, on a river ship (chriscruises.net)
- Getting there is half of something, we’re just not sure what (chriscruises.net)
- It is all about destination immersion with river cruising (chriscruises.net)
- A river ride to Kinderdijk (chriscruises.net)