The Cupcake Cupboard, available on a number of Royal Caribbean ships, has
some of the best..the best cupcakes on land or at sea. Believe me. I am an expert. Not that I would try, but here is their recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes, arguably one of the best bakery creations on the planet.
- 2 ½ cups (580 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 table spoons (30 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) buttermilk or milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) red gel paste food coloring
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (235 g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 batch vanilla cream cheese frosting
- White chocolate curls
- 1 red velvet cupcake crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C
- Line muffin cups with chosen paper liners.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium-size bowl and whisk.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, vegetable oil, red gel paste food coloring and vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar for about 4 minutes until creamy and light in color.
- Incorporate eggs, one at a time, beating well. Reduce speed to low and slowly incorporate flour mixture and buttermilk mixture. Beat for 2 minutes or until well mixed.
- Spoon half of the batter into plastic sandwich bag. Snip a ¼ inch corner from the bag and fill the liners two-thirds full. Repeat operation until all the batter has been used.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the baking pan and let cool on a wire rack. Set one aside for garnish.
- Spoon vanilla cream cheese frosting into a piping bag or sandwich bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe icing onto each cupcake, swirl the tip with your wrist as you pull up to form a peak.
- Garnish cupcakes with white chocolate curls around the edges and sprinkle the tops with red velvet cupcake crumbs.