Barbie, no stranger to at-sea adventures, has signed with Royal Caribbean International, in partnership with Mattel to bring her high-fashion world to the innovative cruise line. Called the Barbie Premium Experience and available exclusively on Royal Caribbean ships, Barbie will be on board the cruise line’s entire global fleet of 22 ships starting in January 2013, by herself.
“Barbie remains the most popular doll of all time and a powerhouse brand among girls of all ages,” said Lisa Bauer, Senior Vice President, Global Sales and Marketing, Royal Caribbean International. “She is everywhere girls are today, so it only makes sense that girls can now find her at sea exclusively aboard Royal Caribbean’s fleet of world-class ships.”
Barbie fans will remember vividly the Barbie Sisters Cruise Ship, where Barbie and her three sisters were able to take a magical trip on their own private family cruise ship. The luxury ship featured a steering wheel and space for two lounge chairs on the upper deck. When the ship docked, a side panel opened up to reveal another deck, an umbrella poped up, a fun swing that fits all four sisters flipped out and a grand buffet rotated around.
The Royal Caribbean partnership with Barbie, and only Barbie, will encompass a host of activities in the cruise line’s Adventure Ocean youth program as well as a Barbie Premium Experience. Girls participating in the Adventure Ocean program can be part of the complimentary version of the Barbie program. The experience offers Barbie Movie Night, Barbie Story Time and other complimentary themed activities, plus Barbie movies on their stateroom televisions.
No doubt, those movies will include the popular Mermaid Barbie flicks including Barbie in A Mermaid Tale 2, where Barbie stars as Merliah, a teenaged surfer from Malibu with an extraordinary secret: she’s half mermaid.
The Barbie Premium Experience is being promoted by Royal Caribbean as “the ultimate indulgence for Barbie enthusiasts”, the line said in a recent release. “Girls can enjoy staterooms decorated in the iconic doll’s signature style as well as exclusive, themed activities throughout the duration of their cruise – from an invitation-only tea party and mermaid dance class to a fashion design workshop and Barbie Girls fashion show.
Highlights of the Barbie Premium Experience include:
- A Barbie stateroom, adorned in the doll’s signature style and featuring keepsakes such as a Barbie® doll and fashions, blanket and pillowcase, tote bag, toothbrush and toiletries bag. From the moment they step into their staterooms, girls will be drawn into Barbie’s distinct world of style – and of course, pink!
- Tiaras & Teacups party, an invitation-only affair, featuring a whimsical palate of pink pastries and pink lemonade served on dainty dishes all while having fun learning tips on table etiquette.
- Mermaid dance class where girls can shimmy and shake while learning the latest dance moves from the hit movie BarbieTM in a Mermaid Tale 2.
- Fashion Designer workshop where girls can channel their inner fashion designer with Barbie inspiration boards and sketch materials. Girls also will have the chance to sketch and create their very own Barbie doll fashions.
- Fashion Show where girls can dress up to walk a pink carpet to the admiration and applause of their family and friends. Girls also will have the chance to perform their amazing dance routine as well as display their Barbie fashion creation. It’s the ultimate celebration of a truly memorable experience with Barbie and Royal Caribbean.
“Barbie is truly a lifestyle brand that is part of a girl’s world from her bedroom to playroom, computer to closet,” said Lori Pantel, Vice President Barbie Global Marketing. “We’re excited to extend that brand experience to family cruise vacations with a fantastic partner – Royal Caribbean.”
Guests interested in the BarbieTM Premium Experience can visit www.royalcaribbean.com/Barbie to get more infomration and may book the experience by calling (800) ROYAL-CARIBBEAN or contacting their travel agent starting October 2012. The cost of the Barbie Premium Experience is $349.00.
Life-long companion Ken and Barbie’s little sister Skipper both declined comment.
Flickr photo by Borstal Boy