Cruise lines give back in home ports around the United States, on board ships with opportunities for passengers to get involved with charitable causes and simply through corporate gifts that go directly to those people and places in need.
“Every day, the global cruise industry is giving back to the communities across the globe that support us,” said CLIA President and CEO Christine Duffy in TravelDailyNews. “We take pride in our rich relationships with the communities where our employees live and work and the ports that welcome our ships and our customers. As our industry continues to grow, we are committed to continuing to make a positive impact in the communities in which we operate.”
Here is the CLIA list of cruise lines giving back-
- The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) – Celebrity Cruises partners with BCRF to help raise funds for life-saving research, through a variety of year-round onboard activities and special events.
- Camillus House – In 2011, Norwegian Cruise Line committed the largest ever corporate contribution to Camillus House by donating $5 million to this organization that offers humanitarian services in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Care to Play – Carnival Cruise Lines is committed to raising three million dollars for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital through its Care to Play program, which enables guests to participate in on-board fundraising activities in the fight to find a cure for cancer and other catastrophic diseases.
- Disney VoluntEARS/Boys & Girls Clubs – Disney Cruise Line donated more than $1 million to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, and an additional $100,000 to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, with the launch of the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. The company engages ports of call through school visits, educational resources, summer eco-camps and in-kind donations. Disney VoluntEARS have removed more than 31,000 pounds of trash and debris from beaches and waterways in Brevard County, Florida.
- Get On Board for Children – Over one million euros have been raised by MSC Cruises for UNICEF. Guests are invited to donate to the organization and the proceeds from some products sold on board the fleet goes straight to UNICEF.
- Local Insights Program – Started in 2011, this Crystal Cruises program brings locals on board at different ports to educate guests about the culture, history and geography in port communities.
- Make-A-Wish Foundation – Royal Caribbean International is committed to making dreams come true for children with life-threatening illnesses around the world, through a variety of programs, such as Wishes At Sea, Walk for Wishes, Destination Joy and December to Remember, as well as guest activities and donations to benefit the foundation. Other CLIA member lines that contribute to Make-A-Wish include Norwegian Cruise Line, Avalon Cruise Line and Paul Gauguin Cruises.
- The Maruzza Foundation – Silversea Cruises has established an independent, family-run charity, the Maruzza Lefebvre D’Ovidio Foundation, which promotes excellence and equity in the provision of palliative care and support for persons affected by life-threatening or life-limiting conditions. Silversea guests are invited to share in the Maruzza Foundation’s fundraising efforts.
- ODA Free Village English School – Through financial support to the school, AmaWaterways River Cruise Line brings critical English-language skills to local children of grammar-school age in the province of Siem Reap, Cambodia to help improve their lives and assist with subsequent employment opportunities.
- The Prince’s Trust- Cunard Line has raised over $1 million for The Prince’s Trust. Founded by HRH The Prince of Wales in 1976, the Trust works to turn around the lives of disadvantaged young people in the UK and will help over 55,000 people this year.
- Ship-to-Shelter Community-Giving Program – Holland America Line provides local non-profit groups and government agencies the opportunity to collect reusable goods from the ships and distribute them to shelters and homeless programs.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure – Princess Cruises Community Foundation funds two breast cancer research studies and also sponsors On Deck for the Cure 5K fundraising walks aboard every cruise giving passengers an opportunity to support the fight against breast cancer – to date raising over $1 million. Similar events are held annually for shipboard crew members and shoreside employees.
Participating in its own community outreach, member cruise lines are making a difference as they provide financial support to local charities, protect the cultural heritage of port communities and involve employees and guests in volunteer opportunities.